Patreon, Kickstarter, Direct Sales, & Kindness
Patreon is one of the 4 major ways for Terrain and Miniature makers to get funding for their work. The other I see, are Kickstarter , Direct Sales through a website, and donations through Thingiverse.
Getting the word out is as important as creating great terrain or miniatures. Patreon is a great way to help promote your work as well as give incentives to your patrons (or customers) to support you and get the word out. Most of the designers on this list have pieces on multiple sites. Many host sites where they sell terrain, or sell through another site like drivethrurpg, Gambody, or Wargame Vault.
You can find direct links to makers in The Directory.
Worlds Over Run was the 50th Kickstarter listed.
Here is the list of Patreon campaigns I am aware of. If any are missing, please email me.
- 3D Forge: This Patreon features impressive fantasy and Science Fiction terrain for your gaming table. He’s come up with an interesting way to create a corridor system (think Space Hulk/Necromunda) using 5MM magnets. Among many other things.
- 3D Hexes: They have been around the community for quite some time. They are now jumping into the Patreon arena. They specialize in ruins scatter terrain.
- 3D Printed Tabletop : Danny, your friendly neighborhood 3D Printing DM has created his own Patreon. Featuring the latest videos and content he releases. Help support the videos and his channel by joining this Patreon.
- AMINI3D: This Patreon is another fantasy miniatures package. It looks like he is concentrating more on dynamic monsters for use in games.
- Art of Mike: This is Patreon for a number of great looking sci-fi releases. Terrific looking miniatures fitting for Necromunda and other games. He even has some vehicles, bases and terrain that are all sci-fi thematic.
- Artisan Guild: This is a fantasy based Kickstarter with highly stylized miniatures for your 3D Printing. They also have a few terrain pieces available right now. I’m hearing that most people print at 85-90% for correct 28mm scale.
- Bad Tentacles – Worlds Over Run: Erik Askue is releasing new terrain on Patreon. He creates all kinds of great looking Sci-Fi terrain. This Patreon sees him branching out to fantasy, Gaslands and more.
- Black Carrot Design: BCD is creating miniatures for RPGs. He is also releasing some terrain like the Hangman’s Tree.
- Black Omen: This is another miniatures Patreon with some very cool looking miniatures being produced. He produces 1 a week for Patrons.
- Black Scrolls Games: This is another miniatures modeler. He makes some cool monster miniatures that you can print at home.
- Capsule Chibi: Bringing 3D printed Chibi characters to your 3D printer. This includes dungeon tiles, vehicles as well as the cute Chibi miniatures, as far as I can tell.
- Cast N Play: This is a group of artists that have come together to create models (Miniatures and Terrain) for the community.
- Comet Lord Miniatures: This artist is creating a number of different miniatures. He’s been producing tabletop miniatures for some time, and is making the jump to 3D Printable models.
- The Cult of Pickle: This Patreon is releasing Monsters to cause Mayhem in your D&D and fantasy based games. He is also including stat blocks for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition with each release.
- DCA Tabletop: This Kickstarter features a number of printable fantasy miniatures for Dungeons and Dragons type fantasy games. He has released some terrain as well as the miniatures.
- Duncan Shadow Louca: Duncan is well known for his character creations. He also releases terrain pieces that are spectacular. I’ve yet to print any of his characters, but I have printed several terrain pieces.
- DungeonPrint Studio: This is both software and terrain files. The main reason I backed it, was for the terrific mapping capabilities, allowing me to build up dungeons virtually to find out what pieces I need. They also offer free sets of terrain that the community votes on which is really nice.
- Earl 3D Miniatures: Earl creates fantasy miniatures for 3D printing, including dark fantasy concepts.
- Fabio Schizzo : Fabio is creating various, highly detailed fantasy miniatures. Even the monster miniatures are more highly detailed characters than most.
- Francesco A. Pizzo: Releasing fantasy and sci-fi miniatures to print, as well as scenic elements and game aids.
- Ill Gotten Games: Ill Gotten Games is well-known and prolific in the modeling terrain and miniatures community. He has funded numerous Kickstarters and released loads of models for free. From Miniatures to Terrain, to creating full-blown fully printable games, Ill Gotten Games does it all.
- Imperial Terrain: Imperial Terrain is doing a monthly, Patreon like service that features a subscription for their terrain. They feature terrific scuplts that are easy to print. Sci-Fi and Star Wars Legion themed terrain.
- GloomyKid Minis: This is a Patreon dedicated to various fantasy miniatures for D&D and Pathfinder games. He gives back to the community by releasing most of his models on Thingiverse.
- Jeremy Smith: Jeremy is creating a wide assortment of miniatures. He features heroes, and monsters, and others. Very well done miniatures.
- JGSculpts: Jake is sculpting fantasy creatures and heroes for 3D Printing. These are 28mm miniatures.
- Lion Tower Miniatures: This sculptor is all about miniatures. He has very stylize miniatures for fantasy games.
- Manuel Boria: Character artist creating beautiful looking miniatures.
- Masterwork Tools: Masterwork tools was the first Patreon I funded. This is a fantasy friendly Patreon that produces some amazing terrain, that he releases on Thingiverse. He’s also done some miniatures.
- Matt Mason – PRIMEVAL: Matt is known for his terrific terrain, starting with Star Wars Legion, but has been branching out. This latest project is for his new game, PRIMEVAL that will be releasing in 2019. It looks like you will get access to minis and terrain as part of this Patreon.
- MEGS3D: Megs is making some pretty intricate looking fantasy miniatures. He also includes tips on modeling for backers.
- Mia Kay’s 3D Models (M3DM): Mia is creating miniatures in 3D (as well as available printed). The 3D model tier is very inexpensive for such good looking models.
- mz4250: Miguel is well known for his character creations as well, though for his, he is making all the monsters in the D&D Monster Manuals. He’s already released a TON of miniatures and continues to make more awesome models at a breakneck pace.
- Nickey’s Hatchery: Nicky is creating fantasy based miniatures and terrain, though he has done sci-fi in the past. These are detailed STL miniature files that he is releasing.
- Onmioji: This Patreon is all about fantasy miniatures. He creates a number of core miniatures and reworks them with alternate poses for variety. He also creates a few terrain pieces. A few are support-free as well.
- Orbital Games: They are creating a Print and Play 15mm/6mm wargame. There are 5 factions with different strengths to choose from. The Patreon offers the rules and access to the printable units for play.
- Orc King 3D Miniatures: Orc King is creating a large number of miniatures. They seem to be all fantasy based minis. He is saying he is making figures for D&D, Pathfinder, Warhammer and more.
- The Parking Lot: This Kickstarter is from the makers of Cast n Play. This features vehicles for use in Sci-Fi games. They are looking to scale them for different games.
- Pinyo – Dark Realms: Pinyo is creating STL files for your tabletop game. He features terrain as well as miniatures and seems to lean towards fantasy sculpts with some sci-fi tossed in for good measure.
- Print Your Monsters: This is Patreon that is all about monsters and mutants. These have a more Horror type bent and features both miniatures and busts.
- Printed Obsession: This Patreon is all about the monster Minis. Along with a few small creatures he is creating 1 large create and a 75mm scale model or bust each month.
- RG sculpt: This Patreon has fantasy miniatures and small terrain that he is releasing. He also says he will be doing some “collectibles” as part of the Patreon.
- Rocket Pig Games: A company that has been around for some time in the 3D Printing market. They have several Kickstarters under their belt and have now moved over to Patreon. This one is mainly about miniatures though they have some very large “Miniatures”.
- SableBadger: SableBadger has been producing amazing models on Thingiverse for quite a while. He produces models for games I play like Star Wars Legion and Gaslands. He also has produced terrain for fantasy wargames. Along with those, he’s got more projects on his list.
- Schlossbauer: This Patreon is all fantasy miniatures. A few will be fan art and many original pieces as well.
- Silverbeam Creations: This Patreon is all about different kinds of pieces. If you are interested in all kinds of materials for your games, this is the Patreon for you.
- The Smiths of Urth: This two person team features fantasy (and a few sci-fi) miniatures. They feature bowmen, crossbowmen, and different types of infantry plus some mounted knights and skirmishers. As time goes on, they’ll be adding assorted monsters as well.
- ThatEvilOne: This is an animator turned modeler, so his miniatures seem to have a bit more dynamic poses. He also creates Sci-Fi miniatures.
- The Makers Cult: This is a 3 person team that is bringing their expertise to creating an assortment of miniatures and vehicles. If you don’t want to join their Patreon, they also have a store.
- Terrain 4 Print: I have backed him on Kickstarter in the past, and he has started this Patreon campaign that pretty much covers all kinds of terrain. He’s done fantasy ruins, hills, sci-fi terrain and Star Wars Legion terrain. He covers a little bit of everything.
- TytanTroll Miniatures: This Patreon is all fantasy miniatures. He has done work for some game studios in the past and lists them in his Patreon. This is his own gig to get his own works out there.
- Vae Victis Miniatures: This is a duo making fantasy terrain and miniatures for the wargaming table. They have a wide variety.
- Valandar: Creating awesome videos of his great character sculpts. You can see how the magic is made in real time.
- Velrock Art: This is a character/miniatures Kickstarter. He releases miniatures for free, but if you join his Patreon, you get them a month early and get to vote for the models he releases.
- VirtuallyJason: Creating 3D models for all kinds of games. Fantasy so far. He has several items on his Thingiverse profile as well. He is also doing this for the good of the community, giving back through Creative Commons releases.
- Will Sutton – Zandoria: Will has been part of the community for a while and has a newer Patreon. He features fantasy type miniatures that are a little different (in a good way).
- Will Walker: Will is a big part of the Dragonbite Community Creator program. He’s created a great deal of terrain that is available and now has a Patreon to help his releases reach a wider audience.
- Zac Stocks: This Patreon is all fantasy miniatures. He has some cool looking ones like the Goblin Sappers.
- Zenphyre: This Patreon focuses on FDM friendly fantasy miniatures. He’s producing primarily Dungeons and Dragons minis with some exclusive models mixed in of his own design.
What should the costs be?
I back a number of these. They seem to cost from $1 to $10 with added tiers above those for special rewards. Personally, I have always viewed Patreon as a “low-cost” way to support modelers. It seems beyond $5 starts to get steep to me. It’s a site that makes its money based on a high volume at low cost. With all of these new campaigns, differentiation may become a deciding factor as well as price.